About Diploma in Electrical Engineering
It is a three years course that helps the students to learn from basic to higher-level electrical skills. This course helps the students to learn practical skills and gain theoretical knowledge. Students can apply for this course after completing class 10. However, a science background is preferred. This professional course deals with the study of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. This course is best suited for those who want to gain practical and theoretical knowledge of electrical trade.
By doing this course, one will have a clear understanding of how electrical devices work. Through this course, students will also get the opportunity to work on projects that will give them hands-on experience. This is one of the best courses that you can do after completing class 10, and it has good career prospects.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Course Details
|Name of the Course||Diploma in Electrical Engineering|
|Duration of the Course||3 Years|
|Minimum Age Required||16 Years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 10th pass with science from any recognized board|
|Course Fee||30000 rupees to 5 lakhs rupees|
|Average Salary Offered||3 to 5 lakhs per annum|
|Job Opportunities||Electric Designer Engineer, Junior Engineer, Technical Trainer, CAD Engineer, and Field Engineer|
|Top Recruiters||Reliance Power, Siemens Technology Services, RITES, International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), Google, Apple, General Electric, BMW Group, Lockheed Martin Corporation, The Boeing Company, and Shell Oil Company|
Skill-Set Required for Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Students who are willing to pursue a Diploma in Electrical Engineering must have a good understanding of mathematical problems as they have to do complex electrotechnical works. They should have a basic idea about measurement, drive, control, and automation. Apart from these, a few more skillsets are required to complete a diploma in electrical engineering.
- Hard work and dedication
- Creative problem solving
- Clear communication skills
- Leadership quality
- Strong decision-making skills
- Ability to prioritize and plan
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Course Duration
The duration of the Diploma in Electrical Engineering course is three years. In these three years, students gain knowledge about different aspects of the electrical trade. They also achieve practical skills by completing different projects.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must pass a minimum class 10 from a recognized board to enroll in Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Candidates should have studied Mathematics, Chemistry, and mathematics till class 10 with a minimum of 50 percent marks in aggregate. The percentage criteria slightly differ for students belonging from reserved categories ( SC/ ST/ OBC ). They must hold all the legal certificates to get the benefit of the reserved category.
- One should not have any backlog in the class 10 examination. Some institutions provide admission based on entrance examinations. In such cases, candidates must pass the entrance exam to be eligible for admission in Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Admission Procedure
Most of the institutes offer a Diploma in Electrical Engineering course based on an entrance examination. Though some of the institutes also offer admission based on the merit obtained in the last examination. Some institutes also arrange for counseling and personal interview before ensuring admission. You must check the institution’s official website of your choice for admission details to be fully assured.
Entrance-Based Admission Procedure
Most of the institutions prefer taking an entrance exam for providing admission in Diploma in Electrical Engineering. There are multiple state-level entrance examinations for this course. Some of the well-known state-level entrance examinations for Diploma in Electrical Engineering are discussed below:
- APJEE: It is specially designed for the people of Arunachal. Candidates can appear this examination if they have passed minimum class 10 from a recognized board and are born in Arunachal. The minimum age limit is 15 years, and the maximum age limit is 18 years.
- Assam PAT: Anyone after passing class 10 can appear for this examination. Candidates must have secured a minimum of 40 percent marks in Mathematics and English in the board examination of class 10. Candidates must be minimum 20 years old to appear for this exam.
- BCECE: This examination is primarily for the people living in Bihar. There is no such age limit to appear for this exam. However, candidates should be either a resident of Bihar or refugee in the same state. People who are posted in Bihar as state or central government employees can also give this examination.
- CG PPT: This exam is mainly for the people of Chhattisgarh. Candidates must pass class 10 to appear for this exam. Candidates should have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in class 10 and should be Chhattisgarh residents.
- CET Delhi Polytechnic: This examination is specially designed for the people staying in Delhi. Candidates must have passed class 10 from the CBSE board. Candidates must secure a minimum of 35 percent marks in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and English.
- Haryana DET: This examination is specially designed for the people of Haryana. Candidates must have passed class 10 from the CBSE board. Candidates must secure a minimum of 35 percent marks in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and English. There is no such age limit to appear for this examination.
- HP PAT: This examination is specially designed for the people of Himachal Pradesh. Candidates must have passed class 10 from the HPBOSE board. Candidates must secure a minimum of 35 percent marks in aggregate in class 10. There is no such age limit to appear for this examination.
Merit-based Admission Procedure: Some of the institutes provide direct admission based on the merit obtained in the last examination. Most of the institutes prefer a minimum of 50 percent marks in aggregate in class 10 board examinations. However, candidates must have studied science till class 10. Candidates belonging from reserved categories (SC/ ST/ OBC) can apply with a minimum of 45 percent marks.
Counseling-based Admission Procedure: Many institutes take counseling rounds before admission. It gives the institution the chance to know about the personality of candidates. Some institutes also take counseling after the entrance examination. Candidates will be informed about the counseling session by the institution after applying for the course.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Fee Structure
The course fee for Diploma in Electrical Engineering varies from 30000 rupees to 5 lakhs rupees. However, the course fee depends on the reputation and location of the institution. Government polytechnic colleges offer this course at a lower price than private institutions.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Syllabus
The syllabus of the Diploma in Electrical Engineering is mentioned in the chart below. However, the actual syllabus of a particular institution may slightly differ from this.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Applied Science||Electrical Machines||Estimation and Specification|
|Applied Mathematics||Computer-aided electrical drawing||Embedded System|
|Elements of electrical engineering||Electrical Power generation||Industrial Drives and Control|
|Basic Computer Skills||Transmission and Distribution||Electrical energy utility and Management|
|Electrical and Electronic Circuits||Practical||Electric Motor Control|
|–||–||Basic Managerial Skills|
|–||–||PLC and HDL|
Top Institutions Offering Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Many private, government and government-aided institutions all over India offer a Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- SRM University, Amaravati
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
- Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Career Prospects for an Electric Engineer
Electrical Engineering is one of the evergreen branches of Engineering. After completing a Diploma in Electrical Engineering, one may pursue further studies like B.Tech. There are numerous job opportunities available after completing this course. With the rapid growth in Energy, Medical Science, Information Technology, Robotics, Aerospace, Manufacturing, and production, there is a continuous demand for skilled electrical engineers to take care of the organizations’ electrical part.
After completing the Diploma in Electrical Engineering course, one can find jobs in multiple sectors. Candidates can also choose to work as a freelance Electrical Engineer. Some of the industries that hire Electrical Engineers are listed below :
- Engineering Services
- Electric power generating installations
- Indian Railways
- Aerospace Manufacturer Industry
- Automobile Industry
- Airports Authority of India
- Electricity transmission and distribution organizations
- Government Electrical Works Department
- Navigational equipment manufacturing industries
- Architecture and Construction Firms
Job Profiles for an Electric Engineer
This is an evergreen field that provides decent job opportunities. Many government organizations such as Railways, DRDO, ONGC, PWD, Municipal Corporations, and Indian Armed Forces hire Electrical Engineers. Many private manufacturing and production houses hire Electrical Engineers too. One can also opt for a specialization program to enter the field of Computer Science and Telecommunication.
- Electric Designer Engineer
- Junior Engineer
- Technical Trainer
- CAD Engineer
- Field Engineer
Top Recruiters for an Electric Engineer
Some of the top-level companies that recruit Electrical Engineers are listed below :
- Reliance Power
- Siemens Technology Services
- International Business Machines Corporation (IBM)
- General Electric
- BMW Group
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- The Boeing Company
- Shell Oil Company
Salary Prospects of an Electric Engineer
The salary of a professional Electrical Engineer depends on the experience and skills of the candidate. However, it also depends on the location and reputation of an organization. A fresher in this field gets a monthly salary of 15000 to 30000 rupees. A mid-level Electrical Engineer earns between 35000 to 60000 rupees in a month. An expert in this field can get up to 15 lakhs per annum in India.
FAQ’s on Diploma in Electrical Engineering
Is Electrical Engineering a promising career?
Yes, it is one of the popular courses that can be pursued after completing class 10. This course offers job diversity, job security, and a handsome salary package.
Can I pursue a Diploma in Electrical Engineering course after class 10?
Yes, one can pursue a Diploma in Electrical Engineering after completing class 10. One must have studied Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry in class 10.
What is the duration of the Diploma in Electrical Engineering course?
Diploma in Electrical Engineering is a three years course.
How much salary do Electrical Engineers earn?
A fresher in this field gets a monthly salary of 15000 to 30000 rupees. A mid-level Electrical Engineer earns between 35000 to 60000 rupees in a month. An expert in this field can get up to 15 lakhs per annum in India.
What is the course fee for Diploma in Electrical Engineering course in India?
The course fee for Diploma in Electrical Engineering varies from 30000 rupees to 5 lakhs rupees. However, the course fee depends on the reputation and location of the institution.